A change of season has come to Brisbane, and as usual, this has motivated me to dust off my machines. I’ll post about my current projects later but first, I want to share some of my favourite makes from last winter; the ones that go into high rotation at this time of year. The Charlie Caftan is one of them.
Originally intended as a maxi dress, I decided to try it in half-priced corduroy from Spotlight so I could layer it as a tunic. The pattern has a few versions and I chose A. I went for the larger of my in-between sizes (size 10) and omitted the interfacing, since corduroy is thick enough – plus I’m just lazy with sewing deets.
Here it is in its second season…. Note the lovely deep pockets.
As usual, I made some pattern changes. First, I raised the neckline so it wasn’t quite such a deep V, which meant changing the facing as well.
After sewing it up, it looked like I was in a big old potato sack so in went the Emergency Darts And Tucks. There’s one on each sleeve and two at each shoulder, as per the image below. If I sew this pattern again, it will definitely be in a smaller size, even for tunics. Cutting out took longer than the actual sewing from memory. I’ll probably make it again one day, just not this year.