When I was a kid, a fried egg on rice with butter and Maggi sauce was one of our fallback meals. Unfortunately I can\’t bring myself to stock Maggi. What\’s in it? (Apparently it varies from country to country but possible ingredients include E631 and \’aroma\’).
Anyway, this is now our easy fallback. Because we have chickens, (organic, free-range) eggs are always in supply. As with most things, the trick is not to overcook the egg. As soon as it cooks through, remove from the heat. For vego, remove the fish sauce and add a dash of salt instead.
- small handful of baby spinach leaves (just enough to be acceptable to the kids)
- small dash of fish sauce
- small dash of light soy sauce (tamari)
- small dash of sesame oil
- several eggs (about 1.5 per person)
- olive oil for frying
- Whisk the eggs and add the small amounts of fish sauce, light soy and sesame oil.
- Heat the oil and add the spinach leaves. As soon as they\’ve wilted, add the egg.
- Flip or move about if you have no patience like me. Remove as soon as it\’s cooked through.